Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Y

So, now that we are less then one week away from 2011 Pampered Husband and I have been working on our resolutions. His big one is to finally put some roots down, you see- we have moved 5 times in the past 4 years. Mine, as always, is to make 2011 healthier then 2010. So PH said that we should join the local YMCA, it has a fitness area, a child care area for Pampered Daughter, family and community programs, everything you could want- plus it is less then 2 miles away from our home. So PD and I packed up yesterday to check it out. We got there around 9:15a and the place was hopping!

We met with the executive director, took a tour, saw and heard about all of the bells and whistles, and decided to go ahead and sign up. On my way out, I called back to the gentleman with one last question- is it always this busy? He said it is usually this busy between 9a and noon, thinking that I would never be there during those hours, I said okay and we were on our way. It really should have hit me- between 9a and noon? I have never been to a gym that considers that their busy time. Something was up, but what it was- I couldn't put my finger on it.

Fast forward to 2p. I decided to pack up PD again and head back to the Y to work out. It was still insanely busy, but now that I had time to think about things, while I was on the treadmill, I noticed something. This gym is made up of mostly stay at home moms from a neighboring area that I'll call Pampered Park. These moms are the kind of women who shower, do their hair, apply make-up, and get a manicure BEFORE hitting the gym. They were no bigger than a size 4, and wore probably the most expensive gym wear I have ever seen. Oh no! We joined a gym for pretty people! AHHHH! I personally like to roll out of bed, head to the gym in sweats, grind it out for an hour, then go home and get ready for my day- not the other way around. I also felt extremely self conscious because I was obviously there for weight loss and not for a social experience. Uh-oh, I hope this does not deter me from my goals this year.

On a side note, PD had a fantastic time in the childcare area. She is long and skinny and wears adorable clothes, so she fits right in at the Y!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It's been ages......I'm glad to see you in my reader again! *hugs*